Did you know that the number of backend developers prevails over the number of frontend developers? And did you know that over 80% of developers say that they code as a hobby? More of interesting and significant numbers and facts are shown in Stack Overflow annual Developer Survey results for 2018…
Syndicode found an interesting survey you should explore as a developer! It is provided by famous Stack Overflow and consists of statistics gathered with the help of more than 100,000 developers who responded 30-minute survey this January. They were answering the questions on everything from their favorite technologies to their job preferences.
Stack Overflow annual Developer Survey results for 2018
- Almost 60% of respondents identify as backend developers
- 56.4% of professional developers contribute to open source
- 24.8% of developers learned to code within the past five years
- Game/graphics developers and mobile developers have the fewest years of experience, ≤ 5 years
- 46.1% of professional developers have a bachelor’s degree
- 76.3% of developers participate in hackathons because they find it enjoyable
- 92.7% of respondents are male
- This is the first year Stack Overflow asked the respondents about their sexual orientation. 2.4% of them reported to be gay or lesbian.
- 8.5% of developers have mood or emotional disorder (ex. depression, bipolar disorder)
- Women have the highest representation as academics, QA developers, data scientists, and designers
- Developers are older (average age – 29) with more experience (average experience – 11.7 years) in Australia
- 52.7% of developers spend from 9 to 12 hours on a computer, and 37.4% of them don’t exercise!
(HTML is in the second place)
- 48.3% of developers prefer Linux
- Rust is the most loved programming language for 78.9% of respondents
- Visual Studio Code is the most popular development environment for 34.9% of respondents
- 72.8% of developers are excited about AI
- 74.0% of professional developers are full-time employed
- 58.5% of respondents will refuse to write a code for an Unethical Purpose
- 85.4% of developers use Agile development methodology. Read about other development methodologies here
- 0.5% of respondents have never visited Stack Overflow before the survey day 🙂
Explore all the results here!
We love statistics! Check also software development salary survey from the last year provided by O’Reilly.