Despite this digest is called ‘weekly’, we assume that it is now rather ‘monthly’ issue of the most popular GitHub Rails open source projects. But such a period of time gives us an opportunity to select really great repositories and evaluate them to include here. And today, in still so-called ‘Weekly trending Ruby on Rails repositories’, on September 24, we’ll show high-performance implementation Ruby, Graphql-ruby, geocoding solution for Ruby, open-source testing framework, JSON:API serializer for Ruby Objects and many more cool projects!
The list starts with the most recent updates.
Weekly trending Ruby on Rails GitHub repositories
- Graphql-ruby gem is a Ruby implementation of GraphQL
- Geocoder is a geocoding solution for Ruby. It forwards and reverses geocoding, and IP address geocoding, connect to more than 40 APIs worldwide, enables advanced configuration for different parameters and APIs to be used in different conditions, integrates with ActiveRecord and Mongoid, and more.
- Marginalia is used to attach comments to your ActiveRecord queries. By default, it adds the application, controller, and action names as a comment at the end of each query.
- InSpec is an open-source testing framework for infrastructure with a human- and machine-readable language for specifying compliance, security and policy requirements. It has built-in compliance, targeted tests, includes the metadata required by security and compliance pros, and includes a command-line interface to run tests quickly.
- Fast JSON API is a lightning fast JSON:API serializer for Ruby Objects.
- Searchkick is an intelligent search made easy with Rails and Elasticsearch. It learns what the users are looking for. As more people search, it gets smarter and the results get better.
- um is a command-line utility for creating and maintaining your own set of man-like help pages.
- rbspy is a sampling profiler for Ruby. It can profile any Ruby program just by running one simple command. Also, rbspy lets you profile Ruby processes that are already running. You give it a PID, and it starts profiling. It’s a sampling profiler, which means it’s low overhead and safe to run in production.
- Mongoid is an ODM (Object-Document-Mapper) framework for MongoDB in Ruby.
- Undercover is an actionable code coverage that detects untested code blocks in recent changes. It is like RuboCop but for code coverage.
- tmuxinator is a tool to manage and create complex tmux sessions.
- Rails Security Checklist is a community-driven checklist that is limited to Rails’ security precautions and there are many other aspects of running a Rails app that need to be secured (e.g. up-to-date operating system and other software) that this does not cover.
- The pretty_ruby gem is used for adding helpful methods and new syntax to existing methods to improve readability and expressiveness. It brings some interesting convenient syntax tweaks to Ruby via refinements.
- Terraforming lets you export existing AWS resources to Terraform style (tf, tfstate).