SaaS (Software-as-a-Service) is a type of cloud computing, a software that is owned, delivered and managed remotely by one or more providers. It is based on the cloud, so there is no need for physical distribution. The only thing needed to run the software in a SaaS model is a web browser. Syndicode provides secure, reliable, scalable and efficient SaaS solutions since 2014!
What is SaaS?
SaaS brings a new way of distributing and selling software. It specifically refers to business software applications that are delivered via the cloud. From human resources to business planning – nearly every type of business function now is available via SaaS. The program is hosted by a third-party provider and then accessed by users over the internet. G Suite anyone? Slack? These are the famous examples of SaaS products.
Software-as-a-Service is not a new model. In the 1960s IBM had already been using distributed software packages to provide utility computing for connecting their users.
But with the rise of cloud-based computing SaaS got a facelift and became viable for most businesses around. That is explained with the advantages Software-as-a-Service brings to modern users. Instead of downloading the software on your PC (or inserting a physical disc), with SaaS model you do not need these actions. SaaS allows users to connect to and use cloud-based apps over the Internet and includes hosted apps, development tools, database management, business analytics, operating systems, servers and storage, networking firewalls, and data centers.
4 main SaaS characteristics
In general, all SaaS products are:
- Hosted on a remote server
- Managed from a central location (by a SaaS company)
- Accessible over the internet
This type of Improved access to data from any device making it easier to manage privileges, monitor data use, and ensure everyone sees the same information at the same time.
- Have multitenant architecture
All the users and applications share a single, common infrastructure and code base that is centrally maintained.
SaaS companies develop, host, and update software products, which are available all over the internet, from one central location. Users not responsible for hardware or software updates but rely on SaaS companies and run their business using a developed SaaS solution. Thanks to SaaS companies other businesses in IT can grow without raising product delivery costs.
Sounds impressing? Syndicode team of skilled software engineers is ready to help you with that!
Examples of Software-as-a-Service products
SaaS is a new way of how technology can accomplish business objectives. To understand it better we suggest you meet some of the most famous SaaS products examples:
- Microsoft Office 365 (Excel, PowerPoint, and Word productivity applications are now cloud-based)
From any PC and mobile platform – you can create, share and edit content in Microsoft Office products. Collaborating technologies support secure interactions both inside and outside of the organization.
- Google apps (productivity applications suit again – Docs, Sheets, Slides, Calendar, Meet, Drive and others you are probably currently using if you have @gmail.com)
They are the main competitors of the cloud version of Microsoft Office 365 but supported by Google which means the bigger number of supported and synchronized products and opportunities.
You probably know this email marketing platform that allows you to schedule automated emails and track their results.
- Amazon Web Services (AWS services include computing, storage, networking, database, analytics, deployment, management and IoT tools)
Amazon Web Services provides scalable and low-cost infrastructure for hundreds of businesses in more than 190 countries.
- Dropbox (well-known cloud storage)
Any file you add to Dropbox is automatically shown up across your devices. Users can invite teammates to a defined folder with files or send them a specific file with password protection.
- Slack (a real-time messenger, one of the best tools to boost your development workflow)
We believe there are not many companies that are not using Slack. Open channels dedicated to specific topics where team conversations are provided, invite-only participants, private messages, file sharing, comments and necessary information pinning – all of that can be automatically indexed and achieved.
Types of SaaS
As you can see from the examples, Software-as-a-Service has numerous use cases including auditing, tracking leads, managing transactions, scheduling events, automating sign up and more.
Many types of software have migrated to a SaaS model. They often focused on collaborative tasks like human resources, content management and customer relationship management – so-called enterprise-level services for sharing, editing, and publishing materials across different organization offices.
Different types of SaaS applications usually include:
- Accounting and invoicing
Billing and invoicing services, financial tracking and reporting services.
- CRM (Customer resource management)
The applications that allow SaaS customers to manage user information and track different events through a pipeline.
- Project management
Project management software stands for tools to help users communicate and stay on track while working on a project.
Hosted SaaS software solutions to build an online marketplace platform with battle-tested frameworks and in affordable price.
- Web hosting
Remote servers to handle everything a modern business needs online.
- Data management
Analyzing and securing a company’s data with SaaS products.
- ERP (Enterprise resource planning)
A system of many connected SaaS applications that are most suited for big organizations.
- Human resources
Tools to track employee hours, manage payroll, schedule and manage the hiring process.
SaaS projects by Syndicode
Syndicode provides SaaS for all of the types listed above. Any SaaS solution for your business can be built with the help of our proficient experts. They have a deep understanding of real-world challenges SaaS product development can solve.
Here in Syndicode, we have already gained expertise in creating SaaS products for:
- Promo websites
- Enterprise apps
- Accounting apps
- Management apps
Check some of our projects:
Nova Poshta Developers Portal is a website with interactive API documentation of the company. Developers Portal has all the tools to make it easy for developers to start using API of the company. In addition to API documentation, the portal allows to get technical support and consulting from API developers of Nova Poshta.
We developed CRM to streamline everyday work of UKRAVIT’ managers with agro-enterprises and distributors all over Ukraine. Our system helps consultants to obtain information about negotiation results and quickly solve problems that arise with customers across the country.
LessAccounting is a business-accounting software company that allows clients to easily track online invoices. It can also be used as a simple CRM. The site does not aspire to include loads of features and instead strives for simplicity and ease-of-use. It has customized accounting workflows and a simple interface.
Syndicode provides Software-as-a-Service solutions that are:
This means that end-customers don’t have to change the underlying code when customizing a solution. That’s how the developed SaaS solution can support your long-term growth goals.
How we make it’s scalable?
- Cloud infrastructure (check the comparison for the main cloud providers we use)
- Top-notch architecture (our software architectures are magicians, they can predict the future needs for any solution with 99,99% probability)
- Clean code (clean code ensures that all the development team members can jump in and continue the work on the project – and that is one of the main principles and rules Syndicode follows)
- Well documented coding (Syndicode stands for obligatory development documentation stage that encompasses all written documents and materials dealing with software product development).
Talking about usability – the first thing to take into account is the list of user needs. Our skilled and experienced designers provide detailed user research to eliminate the odd features and highlight the real functions that customers need. See our expertise in creating great UX and UI in the web and mobile.
How we make the product usable?
- Appealing and functional UX/UI design
- Testing helps to validate and eventually verify the product as to whether it is ready for the market
- QA (Quality Assurance) ensures that software meets and complies with the defined or standardized quality specifications.
When you don’t have to buy your own hardware and hire developers – you save a lot of money in a long-term perspective. SaaS development companies help you start saving on hardware, servers, and in-house IT specialists without compromising on user experience and functionality.
How we make it cost-effective?
In SaaS products data is stored on external servers, and customers must be sure that their data is safe and cannot be accessed by unauthorized parties. Performance can be reduced by slow Internet connections. But reliable SaaS vendors like Syndicode invest much more in security, backups and maintenance than any small or medium enterprise.
How we make SaaS solutions secure?
- Secure infrastructure along with the secure setup of the cloud
- Data protection best practices (e.g. constant user authentication and unauthorized access protection)
- Ruby on Rails is one of our core technologies for custom development. When you use RoR you automatically following Secure Development Lifecycle
Following open standards of integration, we make sure all of our SaaS products are easily integrated with existing apps and services. We also provide integrations with on-premise apps and support so SaaS application could be compatible with defined services 24/7.
Syndicode in custom software development since 2014. And SaaS products are not exceptions. We offer maximum customization capabilities and options so you could obtain a solution with custom functionality, maximum performance, and all the needed integrations.
Why you need SaaS?
SaaS companies help to run your business smarter and cheaper. The SaaS model for business is quite simple, and all the end-users benefit by having access to a SaaS application online. That’s why nowadays, small businesses, startups and enterprises are adopting SaaS.
Syndicode recommends SaaS products to small and medium companies with straight forward business processes who are looking to reduce upfront expenses. Because most SaaS providers support multiple web browsers, there’s no need to worry about the system you use, – SaaS products distribute data online to be accessible from any browser on any device.
Working with SaaS providers are based on the following principles. Instead of investing in in-house server capacities, developers and software licenses, IT businesses can simply adjust a Software-as-a-Service subscription on a monthly basis.
The situations when SaaS might be the most beneficial option are:
- Running a startup or small company that needs to quickly launch a digital product
- The need for an application for both web and mobile access (but without spending money on devs and infrastructure)
- Using the apps that aren’t in-demand often (online services to sign documents, tax software, etc.)
- Short-term projects that require collaboration
Taking advantage of SaaS development services modern IT businesses can acquire secure and fast access to important apps and resources for their end-users. No matter the location, activity, or device.
Advantages of SaaS
SaaS is not an innovation but is dramatically changing the way modern organizations work. SaaS products stand for:
- stronger network security,
- better collaboration,
- upfront prices, and
- seamless updates.
With just a few clicks, your end users can access the software developed using the SaaS model. What other benefits can you expect when using SaaS business model?
- SaaS development is cloud-based. Designed to undergo peak loads and multiple requests at once, SaaS applications can scale well. This makes them a one-size-fits-all solution for businesses that strive to avoid concerns about system capacities and technical specifications. SaaS product development services make sure organizations can smoothly handle system management and architectural challenges.
Cloud solutions benefit your product in the following ways:
- Remote and easy access
- Use of software apps through the internet
- Outsource the entire infrastructure to a third party
- Improving uptime and reducing the number of resources
- Real-time integration and processing
- The properly configured system ensures better performance
- Reducing expenses
- Providing scalability
- SaaS solutions can be updated/upgraded centrally – no need to install updates for a separate machine. SaaS companies maintain the software and update it when needed. This feature allows SaaS products to be easily maintained with the latest version of the software at all times.
Three advantages included:
- Vendors can innovate quickly – because the clients are on the same infrastructure and codebase.
- As everything happens now simultaneously and centrally, vendors can save development time they previously spent on maintaining numerous versions of outdated code.
- Taking the hardware into account, with the software run on a server, individual PCs don’t need to be upgraded for hardware requirements, and there are no issues with not meeting minimum specs.
- Subscription model used for SaaS products is saving costs. Businesses spend less money as costs are spread over time, and the needed users can be added on a monthly basis. SaaS customers don’t need to invest in expensive hardware to host the applications. The subscription typically includes the software license, support, and most other fees.
If you compare SaaS with on-premise software, the last model sells a product with a perpetual license (the buyer now owns the software), but usually demands to pay up to 15-20% every year for maintenance and support. With SaaS, you pay monthly, but that price includes everything.
- SaaS architecture provides easy customization. Each company can easily customize the application without affecting the common infrastructure. This feature is connected with updates as it allows to provide more frequent updates with less customer risk and much lower adoption cost.
- SaaS architecture provides scalability. If businesses need to expand capacity or add users, no new hardware should be purchased and no other software should be installed. In case of future growth, SaaS companies usually foresee these needs and might offer you another subscription plan with the raised fee.
- SaaS can be rapidly deployed. Quick deployment for most SaaS products is possible due to needless of installation and configuration for individual machines. Again, everything happens centrally.
- SaaS products are accessible from everywhere. All you need is your browser and an internet connection. Users’ data is stored in the cloud and available on any device.
- SaaS products have great support. You don’t have to worry about data security and system reliability of the app. SaaS companies invest in troubleshooting and application maintaining quite a lot. So SaaS customers can be sure that the app is reliable and secure.
How to choose a SaaS company?
There are many companies that offer SaaS development. But not all of them have prior experience and reasonable prices. Experience is always a plus, but what are the other criteria to choose a Software-as-a-Service company? Talk about the following requirements with the company you have chosen:
- Customer support. 24/7, every week, 12 months a year.
- Data availability. You should always have access to your data even if you are no longer a customer. Can a chosen SaaS company ensure that you will? Can you get your user data back in a standardized format easily?
- Talk about training and migration help.
- Cost. Ask about any hidden fees and what kind of usage will trigger a higher subscription tier.
- Downtimes? What will the SaaS provider do when the system is unavailable? You need to hear about the backup plan.
- Compatibility. You have to be sure that the application really works with all browsers and devices. Because it’s SaaS, you know…
- Data vulnerabilities and security issues. Ask the company about possible data breaches and defense systems.
Depending on the answers you will hear from a particular SaaS company, you will choose your future SaaS provider.
Software-as-a-Service by Syndicode
Syndicode provides configurable and well-organized software for all the categories below:
- SaaS web development with scalable backend to make your product fast and flexible
- SaaS application development with all possible compatibilities
- SaaS platform development
- SaaS API development to make your service customizable
It includes different integrations to external services, platforms and interfaces.
- SaaS applications customizing to make them fit your business
This option includes modifying specific areas, altering data, and changing UI.
- SaaS products support
With a multi-tenant architecture, a single SaaS application is able to serve numerous clients. But needs proper support.
- Providing smart IT infrastructure architecture
This makes you enjoy the option of outsourcing most IT responsibilities that are required to maintain and troubleshoot the software behind SaaS. No need to invest in hardware or host the software. We’ll cover this.
- SaaS applications migration to the cloud
Syndicode will take care of quick and secure migration to a chosen cloud provider (let’s say AWS) while keeping the negative impact of downtime minimal.
- ERP (Enterprise Resource Planning)
SaaS is not only about the software itself, but also about the appropriate use of the available resources. Syndicode plans and develops applications using the architecture suitable for your business. We relate our approach with your vision and deeply understand the problem you are solving. This allows us to provide rapid time to market and reduce product development risk.
In a nutshell, Syndicode will host and maintain the servers, databases, and code that constitute an application, support your product and make sure it’s accessible with all the needed types of devices. Needless to say, that SaaS application will also be developed by Syndicode.
Syndicode works in two engagement models:
- Team extension
Syndicode will provide you with a dedicated team of skilled engineers or even with a single developer with proper expertise and level in SaaS development. Specialists working under an outsourcing contract have a flexible schedule and work on their territory. By performing work under the outstaffing contract, employees are subject to the customer’s employment schedule, usually, have their jobs in the customer’s premises and have job descriptions.
Explore the differences between IT outsourcing and outstaffing models.
- Product development
In this engagement model, Syndicode will take full responsibility for developing your SaaS application. Our engineers, designers, and managers will go through all of the custom software development lifecycle and provide you with clear specifications, timely implementation, caring support and 24/7 maintenance.